Messi on Thursday responded to Julio Grondona, the president of the Argentina Football Association, who suggested the star Barcelona playmaker could quiet the criticism by declining to play for his country. "Although they criticize me, I will always come to the national team," Messi said in a press conference. "Criticism by the fans bothers me and everyone, but we are aware that we didn't do things correctly."
"I don't think it's a sentence big enough to report a club to FIFA," he said. "The impression I had was that it wasn't respectful to our club or to Cesc. I don't make more than that. Xavi has no direct part to play in that story and I don't see why he should, unless he has an official job to do for Barcelona. I don't see why he can go on the [official Barcelona] website and make this kind of statement."
"There has been no contact with Juventus or Lazio," Rob Jansen told calciomercato.com. "Afellay is happy in Spain and will continue to be a Barcelona player next season, I am 100 per cent certain."
"A new striker is the only thing missing. There is Neymar at Santos, Aguero at Atletico Madrid but Adebayor of Manchester City is probably closest because he's played for us for the last six months. "But I am calm because we have fantastic staff and a very good situation."
The Liga club have already made a bid for the Argentine, but the deal has not progressed since then. Gonzalez has told Marseille that he wants to move to the south of Spain though and the French club seem resigned to his exit.
Follow me on Twitter @aduckling_10