"A new centre-back? I'm happy with the team I have. There's always the January window if we need anything", Martino stated at a press conference.
"Last year's problems in the defense were the result of injuries. We have enough options if everybody's fit," Martino continued.
For the past weeks Barcelona have eagerly tried to pursue a new centre-back in the form of Chelsea's David Luiz and Liverpool's Daniel Agger. Both defenders, however, have turned out to be very difficult to get and so it may not come as a surprise that the search is over for now.
Martino himself seems confident with the current team:
This decision has its risks though. If someone was to get injured early in the season Barca could be in trouble and January might not feel so close after all.
More from Barca Blaugranes:
- Will Barcelona Start Slowly, and Could Real Madrid Pounce Early in La Liga?
- Segunda División: CD Mirandes 2-1 FC Barcelona B: Match Review
- La Liga: FC Barcelona vs Levante UD: Match Preview
- La Liga: FC Barcelona vs Levante UD: Predict the Score
- FC Barcelona News: 17 August 2013; Full Squad Trains Ahead of Levante Game, 2013-14 La Liga Season Begins Today