FC Barcelona has gone strong to the transfer market this season, and two more signings are getting closer and closer as the preseason begins in two weeks.
Luis Suárez, the ultra-talented/controversial Liverpool FC star, has reportedly agreed to a five-year contract, in which he will make 10 million euros per season, according to reports from England and Spain. Liverpool and Barcelona have already started the transfer negotiations, and Barça's initial offer is expected to be around £50 million, way down from the £80 million starting offer that was reported last week, because of the biting incident during the World Cup game between Italy and Uruguay, when Suárez attacked Italy's Chiellini, resulting in a nine-game international suspension and a four-month ban from any football-related activity for Luisito. He can still be negotiated, and both clubs have interest in the transfer.
The second signing is Valencia's Jeremy Mathieu, who's highly recommended by new manager Luis Enrique, who asked for the transfer. Valencia is reportedly reluctant to accept the €10 million offer, which is only half of Mathieu's buyout fee. The center-back has already met with the team's officials five times to ask for the transfer, and the deal is expected to be done by next week, according to Mundo Deportivo.
Luis Enrique doesn't expect to have a full squad by the start of preseason, but both Suárez and Mathieu could be part of the team soon rather than later.
What do you think, Barça fans? Are Suárez and Mathieu good signings for the club?
- FIFA World Cup: 1 July 2014: Live Thread
- FIFA World Cup Round of 16: Argentina vs. Switzerland Match Preview
- FC Barcelona News: 1 July 2014; Ivan Rakitic Presented at the Camp Nou, Barcelona B Defender Sergi Gomez Joins Celta Vigo
- FIFA World Cup: 30 June 2014: Live Thread
- FC Barcelona News: 30 June 2014; Barcelona Announce New Sponsorship Deal, Raise Alexis Sanchez's Asking Price