Could it be? Have our prayers really been answered? Is it Christmas already? These were just a few of the questions that entered my mind when I read the news today: according to Catalan newspaper El Mundo Deportivo, FC Barcelona have instructed Alex Song to look for a new club. I suppose it was my birthday last week, but I thought I'd received my gift when the Blaugrana moved into pole position to sign Sevilla midfielder, Ivan Rakitic. Anyway, according to Mundo Deportivo, Alex Song is as good as gone.
Certainly, reports suggest that Luis Enrique simply doesn't rate the Cameroonian midfielder; with the club in transition after a difficult season, Lucho has been looking to revamp the squad -- really it shouldn't come as a surprise that Song is being pushed out of the door. After all, Javier Mascherano has been tipped to return to holding midfield next season as Sergio Busquets' back-up -- and with the impending signing of Ivan Rakitic, there really isn't any room in the Barcelona squad for a mediocre and ultimately overpaid individual like Alex Song.
If necessary, Barcelona can fall back on the likes of Jonathan dos Santos and B team starlet, Sergi Samper to provide additional cover -- quite simply anything seems preferable to keeping Song around with his weighty salary.
What do you think Cules? Am I being unfair on Alex Song? Should we be looking to keep him around for another season or two, or should we just accept defeat on this particular experiment and cut our losses?
- FC Barcelona News: 11 June 2014; Dani Alves Open to Joining Paris Saint-Germain, Ronaldo Praises Lionel Messi
- Atlético Madrid's Miranda, on transfer talks: "We're negotiating"
- Report: AS Monaco won't sign Victor Valdés
- FC Barcelona News: 10 June 2014; Luis Enrique Appendicitis Surgery Successful, Internationals Arrive in Brazil
- Dortmund: "Marco Reus Won't Be Joining FC Barcelona"