Gerard Pique and Carles Puyol have both been given the OK to feature on Saturday against RCD Mallorca by the medical staff. The club has been waiting basically since the beginning of this year to see the La Roja starting center-backs together on the pitch. If the two can only remain healthy this will be a big boost for FC Barcelona. Meanwhile, the news for Villarreal keep getting worse as they lost striker Giuseppe Rossi for six months, which means this season is all but over for him.
Gerard Pique & Carles Puyol match fit for Barcelona's La Liga game against Mallorca - Goal.com
Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has received some promising news in the build-up to the league match against Real Mallorca as both Gerard Pique and Carles Puyol have been given the green light to feature on Saturday.
It would not surprise me if Barcelona's Xavi becomes a coach when he retires, says Miguel Angel Nadal - Goal.com
Former Barcelona defender Miguel Angel Nadal has stated that it would not surprise him if playmaker Xavi were to become the Catalans' head coach in the future. The influential midfielder turns 32 in January 2012 and is slowly nearing the end of his playing career.
Udinese: 'Sanchez snubbed Manchester City' - Yahoo! Eurosport
The 22-year-old World Cup star joined Barca for a 26million-euro fee that could rise to 37m euros. He had been linked to City, Chelsea, Real Madrid and Milan but reportedly insisted on a move to Barca – rejecting a bigger pay-packet at City in the process, and a possible 45m-euro windfall for Udinese.
Thiago made his debut against Mallorca | FCBarcelona.cat
On May 17th 2009, with the league title already won and with the Rome final just 10 days away, Pep Guardiola called up Thiago for the trip to Mallorca as he gave some of the first team regulars a rest. Thiago came on for the last 15 minutes to make his debut and from then on he became an increasingly familiar part of the first team training sessions at the Ciutat Esportiva.
Lilywhite’s €8M Barca Raid Will Give The Lane Even More Continental Flair | The Transfer Tavern
Montoya (20) and Bartra (20) have struggled to breakthrough at the Nou Camp despite being two of La Masia’s hottest prospects. It is reported by talkSPORT that Spurs have offered a lucrative deal for the pair, better than their current one on offer. Tottenham can also offer them first team football with the current injury crisis, something that Barcelona cannot offer with the talent they already have on show.
'Gonzalo Higuain was lucky, his injury could have ended his career', claims doctor Richard Fessler - Goal.com
The back injury sustained by Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain could have ended his career, doctor Richard Fessler has revealed. The Argentina international flew to Chicago in January to undergo surgery on a hernia in his back, missing over three months of action during the course of the last season.
Villarreal's Giuseppe Rossi out for six months - ESPN Soccernet
Villarreal have confirmed striker Giuseppe Rossi will be out for six months after suffering cruciate ligament damage in Wednesday night's 3-0 defeat to Real Madrid. Rossi was replaced after 60 minutes of the match at the Santiago Bernabeu and scans have revealed the extent of the injury.
Villarreal’s Giuseppe Rossi will be ready to play for Italy in Euro 2012, says agent - Goal.com
"There’s another six months to go before the end of the season, nearly eight to the tournament, so there is time to recover," Federico Pastorello told Sky Sport Italia. "I can reassure the Italy fans that he will be ready for Euro 2012."
Juan Carlos Garrido's defiance can't conceal Villarreal's malaise | Sid Lowe | guardian.co.uk
Juan Carlos Garrido was stuck on fast forward on Wednesday night. Like a machine gun firing off round after round, the Villarreal coach hopped from foot to foot, nervous energy flowing through his veins, all tense smiles, rat-a-tat-tatting his way through the excuses. There was something about him that was hypnotic.
New deal for Navarro | LFP
Sevilla defender Fernando Navarro has reached an agreement with the club to amplify his contract by a further three years, taking him until June 2016.
Basques crush abject Atletico - Yahoo! Eurosport
Three goals in seven minutes, including a second-half double by Fernando Llorente, saw Athletic Bilbao beat a lacklustre Atletico Madrid 3-0 in their Liga clash at San Mames. The 6’5" Spain international striker benefited from a lucky deflection for his first on 67 minutes, but the second was a classic English-style goal as he met Gaizka Toquero’s superb right-wing cross with a power header.
Manzano bemoans culture of impatience - Yahoo! Eurosport
Atletico Madrid boss Gregorio Manzano has bemoaned the modern culture in football, which demands instant success from players and coaches. The under-fire boss has endured a torrent of criticism as his team lie in mid-table nine games into the Liga season.