clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

FC Barcelona News: 29 March 2011; Court To Announce Verdict Tomorrow, Pinto Signs Extension

The head of the Court of First Instance will announce its decision on the appeal filed by Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Real Zaragoza, Espanyol, Sevilla and Villarreal to call off the proposed La Liga strike, on Wednesday morning.

The Spanish league (LFP) want to suspend games as a protest at a 1997 government rule which allows one Primera Liga game to be shown for free on television each week. The league and its member clubs want to sell the rights as subscription packages as is the norm in other countries rather than give product away for free.

Without Spain, what would the game look like? Only a few years ago it seemed that, with the evolution of two screening pivots or defensive midfielders, the tendency to field a solitary striker and the prevalence of a counter-attacking philosophy, football was headed for another period of caution and reactivity.

"This campaign is not passing judgement on smokers, but is a way of protecting people’s most important treasure, their health," Barca medical director Jordi Mones explained to Spanish media.

Barcelona have confirmed that reserve goalkeeper Jose Manuel Pinto has agreed a contract extension until June 2012. Pinto, who is the understudy to Victor Valdes at the Nou Camp, will formally sign the new contract at a media presentation at the club's offices on Wednesday.

José Manuel Pinto has shown what a safe pair of hands he has and has also contributed to the wonderful team spirit at Barça in recent years. His high point was the cup victory in 2009, and he has another in his sights in April.

Fabregas’ team-mate in the Spain national squad, Xavi, has now disclosed that the Catalan is ready to move to Camp Nou. "I would like Cesc to come to Barca and he has also said that he wants to, but Arsenal and Barcelona have to agree," the 31-year-old told Catalan daily Sport.

Arsenal star Cesc Fabregas is continually being linked with a return to Barcelona, but former Brazil international Mazinho isn't too happy with the possible arrival of the Spanish international at the Blaugrana, and has made it clear that the transfer would hinder the progress of his son, Thiago Alcantara.

Argentina international Javier Mascherano could be on his way out of Spanish champions Barcelona at the end of the season as ambitious Serie A side Roma have shown an interest in signing the midfielder, La Gazzetta dello Sport reports.

Montoya is a product of the Barcelona youth academy and made his debut for the Catalan giants in the Primera Division win over Mallorca earlier this year. The right-back has mainly been playing with the reserves, and it appears unlikely that he will get regular first-team action any time soon because of the presence of Dani Alves.

Catalan daily Sport reports that the Blancos are willing to let the 20-year-old leave in the summer and will listen to offers. The Spanish youngster joined Madrid from Racing Santander last year but has failed to perform at the Santiago Bernabeu. | Goal

He concedes it would be wrong to rule out a move in future but insists there is currently no immediate prospect of a transfer. Forlan also maintains that he is enjoying life at the Vicente Calderon, where he is under contract until 2013.

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has laughed off claims David De Gea is all set to seal a summer switch to Manchester United. Weekend reports in Spain suggested that De Gea was already looking at houses in Manchester ahead of a summer switch to Old Trafford.

Join Barca Blaugranes and become members of our website. You can find us on Facebook and Twitter. Follow me on Twitter as well @bcernensek