The biggest surprise in Barcelona's lineup against Rayo Vallecano on Saturday was Jérémy Mathieu starting as left-back for the Blaugrana, putting Jordi Alba and Adriano in the bench. He had a marvelous performance in that position, and showed once again why his versatility makes him a great summer signing for Barça.
After the game, Mathieu talked about his performance, as well as the team's showing in the win:
"Luis Enrique asked me to play as a left-back, and I said yes right away. It's nothing new for me, and I think I did well at the full-back spot.
Yes, I had not played in that position yet here at Barça, but I did that job a lot at Valencia, and I felt very comfortable out there. I think I had a good performance, especially on offense.
I feel very happy for Bravo and his record, and it's great not to concede a goal after seven matches. But it's not just Bravo, it's the whole team. The group deserves the credit. The defense starts on offense, and all eleven guys are doing a great job. We're happy with it, and we hope to keep improving and winning games."
Serious question here: is Alba's job in jeopardy, given the great performance by Mathieu at left-back?
- FC Barcelona News: 5 October 2014; Barcelona Earn Three Points in Madrid as Cladio Bravo Breaks Shutout Record
- Rafinha Alcântara is hurt again
- Rayo Vallecano 0-2 Barcelona: Full Highlights
- La Liga: Rayo Vallecano 0-2 FC Barcelona: Match Review
- FC Barcelona News: 4 October 2014: Match-Fixing Allegations Against Gabi, Alves Linked With Chelsea