The next Barcelona adversary in the Copa Del Rey is already known. After a draw on Friday, it was decided that the Blaugrana will face Elche in La Copa's Round of 16. This will mark the third time the two teams face each other in the Spanish Cup.
In the 1962-63 season, also in the Round of 16, Barça and Elche played against each other in the Cup for the first time. It was Elche's golden era, and it was a matchup for the ages. Los Ilicitanos beat the Blaugrana 4-1 at home in the first leg. But Barça came back and repeated the score, forcing a third and decisive match, to be played in Madrid. On that night, Barcelona survived and defeated Elche, 2-1, en route to the club's fifteenth Cup championship.
A few years later, this time in the quarterfinal phase, the Blaugrana had a little easier time, winning both contests by an aggregate score of 3-0 to advance to the semifinals.
Now, they'll face each other again, with the 1st leg scheduled for January 8th, at 22:00 CET, at the Camp Nou. Six days later, at Manuel Martínez Valejo stadium, the 2nd leg will be contested. Let's hope Barça does it for the third time and remains perfect against Elche in La Copa.
- FC Barcelona News: 18 December 2014; Preparations Begin for Last Game of the Calendar Year
- FC Barcelona vs Córdoba CF: Pick The Lineup
- FC Barcelona News: 17 December 2014; Barca Hammer Huesca in Copa del Rey, Javier Mascherano Reaches Milestone
- Adama Traoré: "It's a great feeling to play with the first team"
- Rafinha Alcântara: "I'm learning from my teammates and continuing to grow"