Ah, Xavi. To think we came so close to losing you this summer when both on and off the field, we are so ill-prepared to let you go. Where would we be without your irreplaceable leadership in the heart of midfield; Cesc Fabregas and Ivan Rakitic have both tried to replicate your role here but they really haven't got close. And in your absence, who else would be so outspoken and fiercely Barça?
In an interview with Catalan daily Diario Sport, Xavi Hernandez spoke at length about his decision to stay at the Camp Nou and perhaps more pertinently, revealed who would have got his vote for the upcoming FIFA Ballon d'Or if he was Spanish captain.
Unsurprisingly, it was Xavi's teammate and all-round football deity Lionel Messi, but after Messi, Xavi rated the performances of Philipp Lahm and fellow Barcelona midfielder Javier Mascherano ahead of the rest of the footballing world. Including runaway favourite and Madridista darling, Cristiano Ronaldo.
'The thing is, Cristiano didn’t do much in the World Cup and I think that in the year of the World Cup that defines much of the season.' - Xavi
1) Xavi and Neymar would have selected the same players in the same order. That's a wonderful sign.
2) Never change Xavi. Never.
3) Trolling level: infinite
- Report: Juventus FC set to make offer for Pedro Rodríguez and Martín Montoya
- FC Barcelona News: 23 December 2014; Barça Kickoff Times Undergo Change, Changes Also Made to Barcelona Executive Structure
- Report: Adama Traoré set to leave in January; Premier League loan most likely
- FC Barcelona News: 22 December 2014; Barça Considering Neymar Contract Extension, Bojan Krkic Sr. Speaks
- Pedro Rodríguez: "I'm happy to be scoring"