In most countries, the announcement of the 23 players selected to represent a nation in the FIFA World Cup is not the most important thing in the world. It doesn't stop a whole country. Not a lot of people are in front of the television set, there are no 3-hour special TV shows to dissect every single player selected and to talk about those who weren't selected, but deserved to be a part of the team.
Well, it's exactly like that in Brazil.
And that's what happened this Wednesday, when Luiz Felipe Scolari - known worldwide as 'Big Phil' - announced the 23 men selected to play the 2014 World Cup in the Brazilian squad. As of right now, as this is being written, there are 4 cable channels talking about it. It is serious stuff here.
And FC Barcelona has two players (well, according to some rumors, three) selected: Neymar and Dani Alves. The left forward is Brazil's biggest star and biggest hope to win the championship. Alves has cemented his position for at least four years, and is one of the team's great leaders.
If you're interested, here are the 23 men announced:
Goalkeepers: Júlio César (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Atlético Mineiro)
Defenders: Thiago Silva (PSG), David Luiz (Chelsea), Dante (Bayern München), Henrique (Napoli), Dani Alves (FC Barcelona), Maicon (AS Roma), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (PSG)
Midfielders: Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Paulinho (Tottenham), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Ramires (Chelsea), Hernanes (Inter Milan), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk)
Forwards: Fred (Fluminense), Neymar (FC Barcelona), Hulk (Zenit), Jô (Atlético Mineiro)
Brazil starts its run to its first home title June 12, against Croatia.
- FC Barcelona News: 7 May 2014; Juventus Continue Chase for Alexis Sanchez, Dani Alves Rejoins Group in Training
- FC Barcelona News: 6 May 2014; Luis Enrique Tipped for Next Barça Job, Bartomeu Meets FIFA Representatives
- Report: FC Barcelona Agree Deal For Brazilian Defender
- Report: Ernesto Valverde Rejects FC Barcelona Offer
- FC Barcelona News: 5 May 2014; Barça Not Out of Title Race Just Yet as Madrid Clubs Drop Points