Good news for Barça fans! Javier Mascherano and Barcelona have reached an agreement for a contract extension. Masche won't leave, and the Napoli rumours can now be definitely buried.
Barcelona announced the news on its own website this Saturday. Mascherano's new contract guarantees him four more years in Barça uniform, and a team option for 2019. The buyout fee was increased to 100 million euros (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), which means it won't be easy for any team to take him out of Camp Nou.
After a couple of interviews that seemed to mean the end of Masche's time at Barça, it appears that new manager Luis Enrique wanted Javier to stay, and he plans to continue to use Mascherano as a fundamental piece in the squad. Early reports suggest that Lucho can use him as a backup for Sergio Busquets, in addition to his usual centre-back duties. The Argentine plays as a defensive midfielder for the national team, and his performance in the World Cup at that position could indicate whether or not will see him as a defender or as a DM next season.
Masche already has 184 appearances as a Blaugrana, and enjoyed perhaps his best season in 2013-14, establishing himself as a defensive anchor, even though Barça still allowed a lot of goals.
Anyway, we can all agree that's great news, right? Masche stays!!!!!!
- FC Barcelona Transfer Rumors: Is the Marquinhos Deal Over?
- FC Barcelona News: 7 June 2014; Robert Prosinecki Weighs In on Halilovic, Rakitic, Brazil Win Last Game Before World Cup
- Report: Juventus and Alexis Sánchez agree to Deal
- FC Barcelona News: 6 June 2014; Barça Reportedly Sign Ivan Rakitic, Eusebio Sacristan Signs Contract Extension
- On Xavi Hernández and His Future