Even though FC Barcelona's recent results on the field haven't been all that good, the team is still pretty valuable off the pitch.
Forbes, the biggest financial magazine on the planet, has released the 2014 list of the 50 most valuable sports teams in the world. Barça comes second on that list, trailing only archrival Real Madrid. The ranking is based on team's overall revenue, including local and international TV deals, merchandising, social media appeal, among others.
Although the Top-10 has four European football teams, the rest of the list is dominated by north-american teams from the NFL, the NBA and MLB. Still, the most valuable US sports team, the New York Yankees, can't even get close to Barça or Madrid, showing that the world still loves football the most.
Here's the ranking of the 10 most valuable sports teams in the world:
- Real Madrid - US$ 3.44 billion
- FC Barcelona - US$ 3.2 billion
- Manchester United - US$ 2.81 billion
- New York Yankees (MLB) - US$ 2.5 billion
- Dallas Cowboys (NFL) - US$ 2.3 billion
- Los Angeles Dodgers (MLB) - US$ 2 billion
- Bayern Munich - US$ 1.85 billion
- New England Patriots (NFL) - US$ 1.8 billion
- Washington (NFL) - US$ 1.7 billion
- New York Giants (NFL) - US$ 1.55 billion
You can see the full list here.
- FC Barcelona News: 17 July 2014; Adriano Sidelined for 4 to 6 Weeks, Rafinha Undergoes Treatment on Bruised Toe
- Adriano Correia to Miss Pre-Season with Heart Issue
- Video: Luis Enrique and Andoni Zubizarreta Press Conference
- Official: Cristian Tello to Join FC Porto On Loan
- FC Barcelona News: 16 July 2014; 2014-15 Away Kit Presented, Cristian Tello Travels to Portugal to Join Porto