Apparently, the "Mathieu to Barça" Saga is over, and with bad news for the Blaugrana.
Sources told Barça Blaugranes on Sunday that, after another meeting with Valencia directors, the 30-year-old defender has changed his mind and decided to stay with his current club. After multiple attempts, from six reported meetings with Valencia officials to an open letter to the team's president asking for the transfer to Barça, the French center-back has come to terms with his boss.
There is still a very narrow possibility that Mathieu goes to Catalunya, only if Barcelona agrees to pay his full buyout fee, of €20 million, something they continue to say they will not do. Valencia has a scheduled trip to South America, as reported by Mundo Deportivo, for two friendlies against Alianza Lima of Peru and Universidad Católica of Chile. If Barça doesn't change their minds until Tuesday, Mathieu is staying and will travel with the team normally, as a member of the club.
Mathieu has not played one single minute of Valencia's two friendlies in Germany, and that seemed to mean that his departure was imminent. Not anymore. Unless Barcelona pays Valencia what, he is going nowhere.
- FC Barcelona News: 20 July 2014; Barça Start the Preseason with a Win, Eight Internationals Return on Thursday
- Report: Daley Blind Becomes Newest FC Barcelona Target
- Preseason Friendly: Recreativo de Huelva 0-1 FC Barcelona: Match Review
- Preseason Friendly: Recreativo de Huelva vs FC Barcelona: Live Game Thread
- FC Barcelona News: 19 July 2014; 23 Player Make Trip to Face Recreativo Huelva in First Preseason Friendly