FC Barcelona has two new official leaders for next season.
According to a report from Catalan TV Esport3, Barça players have voted Lionel Messi and Sergio Busquets to be named the new team captains starting next season. Following the departures of Carles Puyol and Victor Valdés, the squad has only Xavi Hernández and Andrés Iniesta as the official captains.
Luis Enrique then conducted a voting in the locker room on Tuesday morning. It was asked of each player to write three names on a paper. The two most repeated names would get the third and fourth captaincy spot. According to 'e3', Sergio and Leo have received the most votes, respectively. The result still lacks confirmation from Lucho and the club.
Xavi, Iniesta, Sergio and Messi are the most respected guys in the locker room. It was a no-brainer, the report claims. Sergio inherited Puyol's legendary number five shirt, and Messi, well, is Messi.
Coach Lucho has said many times that he thinks all players in his squad have a leader spirit inside each of them, and that will help the team in the end. It's important to have official leaders, though. Looks loke we got them.
- FC Barcelona Grades: Jordi Alba, Dani Alves, Martin Montoya, Adriano Correia
- Video: Xavi Hernández Press Conference
- FC Barcelona Squad Named for Third Season Friendly
- FC Barcelona News: 5 August 2014; Xavi Retires from International Football, Last Four Players Return from Summer Vacation
- Pep Guardiola Denies FC Barcelona and Jerome Boateng Deal