Many believed that FC Barcelona didn't have any activity on the last day of this summer's transfer window, the last one Barça could participate before the FIFA ban. Well, turns out they indeed tried to sign one more player.
At least that's what Gianluca di Marzio, a prominent journalist from Sky Sports Italy, reported on Monday. According to Di Marzio, Barça made an offer to Inter Milan to sign 20-year-old midfielder Mateo Kovacic, only to hear a emphatic "no" from the nerazzuro side.
From Di Marzio's website:
"No Barcelona for Mateo Kovacic. On Monday, there was in fact a new offer from the Spanish club to sign the talented 20-year-old, but it was quickly dismissed. Barça heard an emphatic no from Inter, in a clear sign that the Milan club belives in Kovacic for their present and their future."
This is interesting, for two reasons: 1. Kovacic was never truly linked to Barça, and it's surprising to me that the Catalans made an offer for him. But good surprising, because of reason number 2. 2. Kovacic is simply awesome. I've watched every match this guy played last year and I prayed Barça wanted him. He's exactly what Barça should be looking for when they need to replace Andrés Iniesta.
Oh, and there's an extra reason: Kovacic and Ivan Rakitic play with each other in the Croatia national team. Could you imagine how good their chemistry would be if they played at Barça? Let's hope the Blaugrana don't give up on Mateo once they're allowed to sign players again.
- FC Barcelona News: 2 September 2014; Dani Alves to Leave Barça After this Season, Andres Iniesta to Miss Spain Matches
- Villarreal CF 0-1 FC Barcelona: Tactical Review
- The Renato Guy Daily - September 2, 2014 - Off-Topic Thread: Shut your window!
- Video: Villarreal CF vs FC Barcelona Behind the Scenes
- Neymar Jr. Possibly Facing Club Penalty for Autograph Controversy