Following a spectacular 3-1 win over Atlético Madrid, Barcelona will probably miss two of their most important players for a few days. On Tuesday's training session, Luis Enrique had to conduct the practice without Xavi Hernández and Neymar Jr.
Xavi has sustained a left leg injury since last Thursday, which caused him to miss the last two matches. According to the club's medical services, it's not a serious contusion, but due to the easy win against Elche last Thursday, the captain is likely to sit out of the second leg against Elche that happens in two days. However, Xavi is expected to return on Sunday, against Deportivo La Coruña, in an important La Liga contest.
Neymar suffered a right ankle injury against Atlético, due to a hard (to say the least) tackle by José Giménez:
OUCH: Neymar's ankle after a brutal tackle from Atletico defender José Giménez. pic.twitter.com/iXkDVO5gqa— BBC Sporf (@BBCSporf) 11 janeiro 2015
Because he's a tough SOB, Ney was able to continue playing for the rest of the game, but Catalans outlets report that the Brazilian has been feeling the effects of that injury in the last few hours, and the soreness on the ankle might result on him being forced out of the Elche match. He was probably not going to play anyway, but he's now probably obligated to watch it from home.
- FC Barcelona News: 13 January 2015; Lionel Messi Finishes Second in Ballon d'Or voting, Joins Andres Iniesta in FIFPro Team of the Year
- Neymar - Part 1: The Skinny Kid Who Grew To Greatness From The Streets To FC Barcelona
- Barcelona 3-1 Atlético Madrid: Tactical Review
- Five Barcelona Players Included in FIFPro World 22
- Cristiano Ronaldo Wins 2014 Ballon D'Or; Lionel Messi Runner-Up