In the National Football League, there's a special day called Black Monday. It is known as the day following the last week of the NFL's regular season, when normally coaches and general managers of bad teams are fired. We don't exactly have that in football, but Barcelona created their own version of Black Monday today.
Not long after Barça president Josep Maria Bartomeu terminated the contract of Sporting Director Andoni Zubizarreta, Carlos Puyol, a club legend, announced on his Facebook page that he is resigning as Assistant Sporting Director after only four months at the job.
Official: Former Barcelona player Carles Puyol resigns as assistant sports director of the club, he started at the job in September 2014— barcastuff (@barcastuff) 5 janeiro 2015
In his statement, Puyol mentioned wanting to "grow and develop as a professional" before coming back to the Blaugrana for a managerial position. He also says he wants to "experiment different things in different places".
This crazy Monday keeps getting crazier. We don't know if Bartomeu decided to clean house in 2015. If he's doing it, the next logical step would be to fire coach Luis Enrique. But there's no indication that he will sack the club's manager after six months of work.
We'll have to wait for the next chapters of this busy start to 2015 Barcelona football.
- Director of Football Andoni Zubizarreta Fired by FC Barcelona President
- Lionel Messsi misses open practice due to illness... And that's not the entire story
- FC Barcelona News: 5 January 2015; Barça Lose to Real Sociedad (Again), Lionel Messi Misses Training
- Full Match Highlights: Real Sociedad 1-0 FC Barcelona
- Breaking Barça: Luis Enrique & FCB Board Destroying Barcelona