The "Lionel Messi to Chelsea" thing is now definitely a thing.
According to Rac1, officials from Chelsea FC have contacted Jorge Messi, father of Lionel Messi, to make a formal offer to sign his son. Also according to the report, they have offered to buy out Leo's contract (a €250 million release clause) and raise his wages even more (Messi is already the highest-paid footballer on the planet).
Always according to the report, Chelsea officials wanted to hear from Leo's father what the exact situation is between his son and the club, and especially his relationship with coach Luis Enrique, which according to many reports is not good at all. Rac1 also points out that Messi is good friends with Cesc Fàbregas, who has been campaigning for his friend to come to London and play with him. Cesc has allegedly reached out to Jorge Messi as well, in an effort to convince the dad to convince the son to leave Barça.
The rumors about Messi joining the Blues started again when Leo began to follow a few Chelsea players on Instagram. Those speculations continue to grow even though José Mourinho has confirmed that the club cannot afford to sign Messi right now.
Welcome to the world of football on a transfer window, ladies and gentlemen.
- Source: Luis Enrique to be Sacked as FC Barcelona Manager
- FC Barcelona News: 6 January 2015; Press Conference Scheduled for Wednesday, Luis Suarez Wins IFFHS Award
- Barcelona Captains to Meet with Lionel Messi; Luis Enrique is the Topic
- The Beginning Of The End For The FC Barcelona Board
- Lionel Messi Is Not Joining Chelsea FC