The astonishing crisis that all of a sudden hit Barcelona resurrected the rumors about a possible departure of one Lionel Messi, with Chelsea FC being the main candidates to land the best player in the world. The speculations continued to grow even though José Mourinho, manager of the Blues, repeatedly said his club cannot afford to sign Messi.
Now, there's one more confirmation to that.
Mourinho's assistant manager, Steve Holland, said in an interview that the Financial Fair Play rules make it virtually impossible for any club, let alone Chelsea, to acquire Leo.
"Jose Mourinho has made it quite clear that nobody comes or goes. I recall he said something similar last year but a couple of things happened which meant we had to be reactive. The hope and expectation is that nobody comes or goes."
"When you look at some of the numbers mentioned around the Messi deal, you would think it is almost impossible."
Source: ESPN FC
So there you go. Both Chelsea's manager and assistant manager have made clear that they can't sign Messi.
Do you think the rumors will stop because of that?
- Report: Liverpool Linked With £17 Million Swoop For Marc-Andre ter Stegen
- FC Barcelona News: 9 January 2015; Barça Put Crisis on Hold with Big Victory, Victor Valdes Finds New Club
- Full Match Highlights: FC Barcelona 5-0 Elche CF
- Copa del Rey: FC Barcelona 5-0 Elche CF: Match Review
- Copa del Rey: FC Barcelona vs Elche CF: Live Game Thread