One of the best performers in La Liga this season, and a key component of Atlético Madrid's amazing campaign, Antoine Griezmann has caught the attention of everyone who follows Spanish football. And, as it turns out, he could have been a Barcelona player.
And that information comes from Griezmann himself, as he revealed it in an interview for a French radio station following the 4-0 destruction of Real Madrid, last Saturday. According to the 23-year-old, Barça made him an offer back in 2010, but the deal obviously never came to fruition.
"You'll have to ask them [Barcelona] why the deal didn't work. I wanted to play in their first team, but I'm not really sure they wanted me. When Barça contacted me, they only talked to my agents a few times and then it stopped. I was already playing in the Segunda with La Real. I didn't want to play with another Segunda team."
Source: RTL via Mundo Deportivo
Back then, when Griezmann was only a 19-year-old phenom at Real Sociedad, the Blaugrana reportedly made a very good offer, but former sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta wanted to sign the forward to play at least one year at Barça B, with a narrow possibility of a promotion by coach Pep Guardiola. Griezmann, as he said, wasn't interested in leaving a Segunda División team to play for another team who's playing at the same level, and the negotiations never evolved.
Now that he's scoring left and right whenever he wants, it seems like Griezmann could have been a nice asset on the current Barça squad.
- FC Barcelona News: 10 February 2015; El Clasico Kickoff Time Announced, Eusebio Fired as Barcelona B Coach
- Report: Barcelona and FC Porto in Advanced Talks for Brazilian Defender
- FC Barcelona News: 9 February 2015; Barça Closes Gap to a Single Point, Celebrate Away Wins Milestone
- Messi Leads Barcelona to 5-2 win, closes in on Real Madrid
- The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly... tonight at San Mamés