Surprise! One more Barcelona transfer target. But seriously, this time it's a real surprise.
According to Mundo Deportivo, the Blaugrana are looking to make a move for Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Lars Bender. Sources within the club also confirmed the report to Barça Blaugranes. The 25-year-old is a solid player with great defensive skills and is a good choice for a backup to Sergio Busquets. The Germany international is an important piece of his squad, and with his passing game improving lately, he could really be an interesting addition to Barça's system, especially because of his defense.
It was confirmed by FIFA earlier this week that Barcelona is indeed able to negotiate and even sign new players, as long as they aren't registered until January 2016. That news have allowed Barça to make a strong push for players they really like. We've already reported about Porto's Danilo, Juventus's Paul Pogba and PSG's Marco Verratti. Because of the interest from other clubs on those same stars, the Blaugrana are trying to create options just in case their primary negotiations don't work.
Joining Bender on this "alternative list" are Milan right-back Mattia De Sciglio and Palermo's Paulo Dybala. As of right now, these six are actual targets that will be pursued by Barça throughout 2015, according to several sources. Let's see if Bartomeu is able to land one of those before the elections.
- UEFA Champions League: Round of 16 First Leg: Open Thread
- David Villa on Barcelona vs Manchester City: "It is a very close tie"
- FC Barcelona News: 17 February 2015; FIFA Confirm Barcelona Can Buy Players, Barça Agree New TV Rights Deal
- The Premier League is going CRAZY!!!!!!! because of Pedro
- According to FIFA, Barcelona can acquire new players this summer