As the January transfer window comes to a close and we begin to know all the deals that could have happened, we start to see a lot of Barcelona players involved in many of these transfers that never became reality.
When the Blaugrana went into #TheCrisis, one of the most rumored departures was that of Sergio Busquets, who has been deeply criticized for his inconsistent set of performances earlier in the season. Many thought it was time for a change in that position, and that almost happened. Twice.
According to reports from England and Spain, Barça and Manchester United held repeated talks about a possible Busquets transfer. Officials actually came close to accepting the initial offer, but Sergio simply refused to accept the proposal. Once Busquets made it clear that he had no intentions of leaving Barcelona, the club once again got a call from United officials that came with a bigger offer to land the 26-year-old midfielder, but said no right away.
Now, Busquets is playing great football once again, and he will sign a contract extension with Barça that guarantees him as a Blaugrana until 2020, and maybe 2022 if Sergio exercises his two-year player option.
Don't cry, United.
- Report: Barcelona plan hard push for Juventus star in 2016
- Report: Barcelona plan to line up audacious swoop for Real Madrid midfielder
- FC Barcelona News: 4 Fabruary 2015; Josep Maria Bartomeu Suggest Attack on the Institution
- FC Barcelona president believes the club is under attack
- Real Madrid Planning To Poach La Masia Starlet