With a possible Pedro Rodríguez departure shaping up as the hours go by, Barcelona has to look for a good backup option at the forward position. We've reported about Fernando Llorente and others, but one name that is being strongly considered among Barça executives is Villarreal's Luciano Vietto, a young and fun attacker who can beat you with speed and talent.
Vietto is from Argentina, and obviously a Lionel Messi fan. Earlier this season, when he visited Camp Nou for a La Liga match against Barcelona, he looked like a kid while talking to the world's best player. Barça and the Yellow Submarine had a nice little rivalry this year, and all four games they've played showcased Vietto's skills in a way that backs the Blaugrana's wish to sign the 21-year-old.
If the interest becomes official, Vietto would play for Barça in a heartbeat, as the player himself said in an interview with Argentine newspaper Diario Olé. Here's a few nuggets:
"It would be a dream to play with Messi, of course. When we faced them at Camp Nou, it was an unique experience. Not only did I play against him but I got the chance to know him better as a person. He's a great guy, and it meant the world to me that he decided to give me his shirt after the game. I'll never forget it.
"Barça rumors? I take them calmly, I'm only thinking about Villarreal. I use those rumors as a motivation to keep working to get better. I'm really young, I have a lot of things to work on and I know that things will happen naturally as long as I continue to improve."
Source: Olé via MD
Vietto would clearly love to play with Messi. Do you think he's good enough to earn a transfer to Catalunya? Talk away, Blaugranes!
- FC Barcelona News: 31 March 2015; Espanyol Game Kickoff Time Announced, Non-Internationals Return to Training
- FC Barcelona News: 30 March 2015; Luis Suarez Takes Part in Charity Match, Barcelona B Pick Up One Point
- Report: Fernando Llorente tops the list of potential Barcelona striker targets
- Today in "WAIT, WHAT?!" - Barcelona rumored to sign Liverpool defender
- Neymar Jr. and Claudio Bravo appear in Brazil win over Chile