clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

La Liga News: 25 July 2015; Real Madrid Beat Manchester City, Villarreal Go on English Tour

Daniel Pockett/Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo scores as Real Madrid beat Manchester City 4-1 | Sky Sports
Manchester City's pre-season tour of Australia ended in a 4-1 defeat to Real Madrid in the International Champions Cup in Melbourne. Karim Benzema, Cristiano Ronaldo and Yaya Toure were among the goalscorers while Fabian Delph's City debut lasted just 18 minutes before he was forced off with injury.

Cristiano Ronaldo all smiles again, but for how long can Rafa Benitez keep him happy at Real Madrid? - Goal.com
The Portuguese publicly backed former coach Carlo Ancelotti just days before his sacking back in May, writing on Twitter that he hoped he would continue working with the Italian. That was a clear message to president Florentino Perez that he did not want another managerial change. Nor did he want to work with Rafa Benitez.

Cristiano Ronaldo caught standing on his toes to look taller than his Real Madrid team-mates - Eurosport British
Cristiano Ronaldo must have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to height. Either that, or he just wants to be the tallest person in the photo. The Portuguese international was caught by eagle-eyed viewers standing on his tiptoes to make himself taller than his team-mates ahead of Real Madrid's pre-season fixture against Manchester City.

'Are they playing in their pyjamas?' Real Madrid's new kit slammed on Twitter - Eurosport British
Having gone through basically every colour of the rainbow with a succession of garish kits since 2010, Madrid opted for the only remaining choice: grey. Well, actually the club are officially calling it 'Silver Glory' as a mark of recognition for the "colour of trophies" Madrid are so adept at collecting. Adidas say it is "a tribute to all the trophies that Real Madrid have won in their history and all those that are still to come."

Karim Benzema will stay at Real Madrid, according to Rafa Benitez | Sky Sports
Real Madrid head coach Rafa Benitez says he is sure that Karim Benzema will stay at the Bernabeu, despite reported interest from Arsenal. Gunners director Lord Harris has claimed that Arsene Wenger has the cash available to buy anyone other than Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and has identified a striker.

Real Madrid strength in depth already better under Benitez - ESPN FC
Aside from the obvious plus points - a smiling Cristiano Ronaldo on the scoresheet, Luka Modric back in the engine room and a strong defence giving goalkeeper Keylor Navas a watching brief for the most part -- there is more to this Madrid than immediately meets the eye going into the new season.

Denis Cheryshev comments on his Real Madrid future
Real Madrid winger Denis Cheryshev has told the Spanish paper Marca that he is happy to remain in the Spanish capital amid reports of a bid from Premier League side Liverpool. As per a recent report in The Mirror, the Reds tabled a £22 million bid for the Russian international as manager Brendan Rodgers seeks further firepower in his squad.

Filipe Luis has completed Atletico medical, but deal not done yet as Chelsea demand higher fee | 101 Great Goals
Filipe Luis has completed his Atletico Madrid medical, and is currently staying in the Spanish capital awaiting confirmation of a done deal. But the deal is far from done, according to Marca. Although it all seemed to be close to wrapped up last week, Chelsea have changed their stance, and want more than the current offer from Atletico, which stands at 16m euros.

Diego Simeone Atletico Madrid squad taking shape - ESPN FC
On Friday Atletico Madrid completed their final training session before their first preseason friendlies against Numancia and Oviedo on home soil. Following those two affairs, the team heads out for a whirlwind tour to China to face Sagan Tosu and Shanghai; such are the perils of modern football.

Mario Suarez seals move to Fiorentina from Atletico Madrid - ESPN FC
Mario Suarez has completed his move from Atletico Madrid to Fiorentina. The 28-year-old leaves the Vicente Calderon in search of more playing time, having made just 11 league starts last season. Suarez came through the youth ranks at Atletico and returned to the club in 2010 after two years with Mallorca.

Official: Manquillo joins Marseille | Football Espana
Marseille have announced the signing of Javi Manquillo from Atletico Madrid on a season-long loan, with the option of a permanent transfer next summer. According to L’OM’s official website, a deal has been agreed in principle, with the 21-year-old now set to finalise personal terms and undergo a medical.

Vicente Iborra skips Sevilla friendly amid reports of West Bromwich Albion bid - HITC
Sevilla midfielder Vicente Iborra has not traveled with the squad for their upcoming friendly with German outfit Werder Bremen amid speculation of a bid from West Bromwich Albion. According to the Mirror, West Brom have tabled a £6 million offer for the defensive midfielder as they look to bolster their options in the middle of the park ahead of the new Premier League season.

A level head and careful planning have helped Socceroos Mat Ryan’s climb towards the top | Fox Sports
MATHEW Ryan has scarcely drawn breath for the past five years, so he’s not about to start now. Sitting in the foyer of the hotel he will call home for the next few weeks, it’s less than 24 hours since he put pen to paper on a six-year contract with Valencia, but already he has trained twice, had a tour of the stadium, and met the staff.

Marcelino announces 22 men squad for English tour - Villarreal USA
Marcelino García Toral has announced the 22 men squad, set to take part in the English tour from July 25th to August 2nd. Villarreal will be facing German runners-up, Wolfsburg, tomorrow for the Emirates Cup, and Olympique Lyon on Sunday. Three days later they will be traveling to the city of Derby to take on local team, Derby County, and finally, they'll be closing their English tour in Liverpool at Goodison Park against Everton on August 2th.

Celta Vigo raise their bid for Southampton, Sunderland and Celtic defensive target
Having had a first offer of €1.6 million rejected by Nantes for defender Papy Djilobodji, according to La Voz de Galicia, Celta Vigo have submitted an improved bid of €2.4 million. The 26-year-old Senegal international is regarded as a primary target for Celta Vigo, the Galician regional newspaper has underlined, as manager Eduardo Berizzo hopes to make what is predicted to be their last signing of the summer.