clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

FC Barcelona News: 7 July 2016: Messi To Appeal Jail Sentence, Suarez Unveiled

New, comments
David Ramos/Getty Images

Denis Suárez is officially an FC Barcelona player, and was able to explain just what that means to him at his official presentation to the media on Wednesday at the Camp Nou. "I’m very pleased to be back at the club" he said. "It’s a dream come true because when I left my target was always to come back here and that’s what I’ve fought for. Because of my style of football, Barça is the best team in the world that I could play for."

FC Barcelona gives all its support to Leo Messi and his father with relation to the sentence for tax evasion handed out by the Provincial Court in Barcelona today. The Club, in agreement with the Government prosecution service, considers that the player, who has corrected his position with the Spanish Tax Office, is in no way criminally responsible with regards to the facts underlined in this case.

Barcelona football star Lionel Messi and his father will appeal against a Spanish court decision to sentence them each to 21 months in jail for tax fraud, the player's lawyers say. Argentine Messi, aged 29, was also fined €2m euros (£1.7m; $2.2m) by the court in Barcelona. In addition to the prison term, Messi's father, Jorge, was fined €1.5m for defrauding Spain of €4.1m in 2007-09.

The Camp Nou was the venue on Wednesday for the presentation of the first new signing for Barça’s 2016/17 season. Denis Suárez was joined at a press conference by technical secretary Robert Fernández and the director for professional sports Albert Soler in the Ricard Maxenchs pressroom, where Fernández commented that regarding ins and outs this summer: "the priority is to hang onto the good players that we already have."

"There are issues that still need to be sorted out," Fernandez said as Barca unveiled new signing Denis Suarez on Wednesday. "We've been doing that with Rafinha, Sergio Busquets and Neymar, and now it's time to do the same with Mascherano. He has told us that he wants to stay here, and that's comforting to know."

And while he has also been approached by both Turkish club Besiktas and Sporting Lisbon, talks for a move to newly-promoted Boro are understood to be at an advanced stage. It is believed manager Aitor Karanka and keeping coach Leo Percovich were in Barcelona last week to sway the medal-laden keeper to picking Boro ahead of others.

Bengaluru FC have roped in former FC Barcelona assistant manager Albert Roca as their head coach for the next season. The Blues have penned a two-year deal with Roca. The 53-year-old Spaniard, who worked at Barcelona for five seasons from 2003-08, then followed Dutch manager Frank Rijkaard to Turkish club Galatasaray.