clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

FC Barcelona News: 11 September 2016: Barca Shocked By Alaves, Luis Enrique Accepts Blame

New, comments
David Ramos/Getty Images

FC Barcelona succumbed to their first defeat of the season at the hands of newly-promoted Alavés in a frustrating evening at Camp Nou (1-2). Jeremy Mathieu cancelled out Deyverson’s opener, but Ibai Gomez’s solo effort handed the visitors a surprise victory at the home of the Catalans.

FC Barcelona trained Sunday morning on Field 2 at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper. After the unexpected defeat against Alavés, Luis Enrique's men must now turn the page quickly and focus on Tuesday's Champions League opener, when they face Celtic — who are coming off a 5–1 rout over arch-rivals Rangers this weekend— at Camp Nou.

Denis Suárez, Sergio Busquets, Jasper Cillessen, Andres Iniesta and Luis Enrique spoke to the press immediately after the game, giving their thoughts on a disappointing night. Speaking of the international break, the midfielder said that "it always has a bit of an effect, but we do not want to make excuses. We must pick ourselves up quickly as we have an important game (against Celtic in the Champions League) on Tuesday."

"It is what it is. I’m the one most responsible and I accept it. Everything bad that happens is my fault, but hindsight is very easy to criticise," he added. "This season, we’re going to create something together, not only 11 players. It’s a match to learn from as there are many things to improve on, but the result is forgettable. We barely created any important chances, but Alaves did great work."

"We were fragile in defence and we will have to go over that," he admitted in his post game news conference. "It's an area where we've been strong in other years, but we also lacked fluidity and precision. The second [Alaves] goal, after another error by us, hit the group hard and did a lot of damage because it was a demonstration of our defensive fragility."

Dembele, 20, scored a hat trick on Saturday as the Scottish champions proved too much for their rivals Rangers, securing a 5-1 win at Celtic Park. "We are capable of going to Barcelona and getting a result," Dembele told reporters. "We are going there to give everything to come away with something.

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo hit back at Xavi over his claims that Lionel Messi was a better player by pointing out that the former Barcelona midfielder had never won a Ballon d'Or himself. Ronaldo, 31, netted in the 5-2 win over Osasuna on Saturday and was asked about Xavi's comments earlier this week. "I'm the most searched player on the internet," Ronaldo said in quotes reported by Marca. "Anyone who wants free publicity or media attention talks about me.

A fridge in the famous ‘blaugrana’ colours? What more could a Barça fan want in their kitchen? And that’s precisely what Beko, the club’s official partner, unveiled in Berlin on September 1 at IFA 2016, the world’s leading trade show for consumer electronics and home appliances. And none other than former star Eric Abidal was there to attend the presentation in the German capital.