It’s been another exciting year following Barcelona, with lots of highs and lows and with Lionel Messi smashing records left, right and centre.
So without any further ado, let’s have a look at the best Barca stats of 2017...
- In 2017 Lionel Messi scored 40 league goals, that’s the most in Europe’s top five leagues this year.
- Messi made his 200th assist for Barcelona in all competitions in the 3-0 win over Real Madrid in December.
- Messi’s goal against Madrid in December’s Clasico also means he has now scored more goals against los Blancos than any other player in La Liga history.
- He has also played more minutes than any other Barcelona player this season. Check it out below...
Our official minutes played leaders in 2017:— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) December 30, 2017
4️⃣,9️⃣3️⃣1️⃣ L. #Messi
4️⃣,5️⃣9️⃣0️⃣ M. ter Stegen
4️⃣,5️⃣3️⃣8️⃣ L. Suárez
4️⃣,1️⃣8️⃣6️⃣ S. Umtiti
4️⃣,1️⃣6️⃣7️⃣ S. Busquets
4️⃣,0️⃣6️⃣3️⃣ I. Rakitic
3️⃣,8️⃣4️⃣5️⃣ G. Piqué pic.twitter.com/ES1gmmnuU7
Barca’s defence is rock solid
- When Thomas Vermaelen is in the team, Barcelona simply do not lose. They have not tasted defeat in any of their 16 La Liga games he has played (W13 D3).
- Barcelona are the only team, who has been in the top flight all year long, who have not conceded a single league penalty in Europe’s top five leagues in 2017.
- In April, Javier Mascherano scored his first ever Barcelona goal with a penalty against Osasuna. It was also Barca’s 500th goal under Luis Enrique.
- Gerard Pique leads the way when it comes to clearances...
Our clearances leaders in 2017:— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) December 30, 2017
1️⃣8️⃣1️⃣ G. Piqué
1️⃣2️⃣4️⃣ S. Umtiti
7️⃣1️⃣ J. Alba
5️⃣1️⃣ J. Mascherano
4️⃣3️⃣ L. Suárez
4️⃣0️⃣ S. Roberto
3️⃣5️⃣ S. Busquets
3️⃣0️⃣ M. ter Stegen
2️⃣7️⃣ J. Mathieu
2️⃣5️⃣ L. Digne pic.twitter.com/sAOiJaFG3p
Champions League record-breakers
- Barcelona’s amazing comeback against PSG in March saw the club became the first team since 2010 to score three goals in the 80th minute or later in a Champions League match.
- It also meant they became the first side in Champions League and European Cup history to overturn a four-goal first-leg deficit.
Barca are Copa del Rey kings
- Barcelona won the Copa del Rey for the 29th in May. They have now wom the trophy, six more than any other team (Athletic Club are next with 23).
- In the final Messi became the first player to score in four different Copa finals (2017, 2015, 2012 and 2009) since Telmo Zarra in 1950 (1950, 1945, 1944, 1943 and 1942).
- Barcelona also became the first team in 64 years to win the trophy three times in a row. The last team to do it was, you’ve guessed it, Barcelona between 1951 and 1953.
- Sergio Busquets attempted more passes than any other midfielder in La Liga in 2017 (2.428, 90,24% successful).
- With six goals Paulinho has scored more goals than any other midfielder in La Liga this season.
And during the year Barca have made 36 away trips and travelled over 53,398 kilometres. Check out all the details below...
All stats via Opta, FC Barcelona, WhoScored and Squawka.