clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Barcelona Agree Personal Terms with Paulinho, Make “Final Offer” for Transfer - Reports

New, comments

Guangzhou’s reply has been “no” so far... will this latest offer change their mind?

Brazil v Argentina - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Qualifier Photo by Buda Mendes/Getty Images

Here’s what we’ve heard: Barcelona has made an attempt to purchase Paulinho, booking a bid reported to be around 25 million euro. But his club, Guangzhou Evergrande, has turned down the offer, telling the Catalans they will not sell.

Paulinho has a 40 million euro release clause, but it seems Barcelona do not consider it good business to meet such a figure. Instead, Diario SPORT says they’re launching a final offer: 25 million plus two in variables.

Reportedly, he player himself desperately wants the move and is going to make a plea directly to the president of the Chinese club to let him leave. According to both SPORT and Mundo Deportivo, Paulinho has agreed personal terms and would sign a four-year deal if the transfer goes through.

The Chinese transfer market closes on Friday, and although Paulinho can still be sold after that, Guangzhou could not purchase a replacement then. The Chinese club does not want to sell their best player without a replacement ready, especially not in the middle of the season.

Sure, they could sell Paulinho in the winter, when the Chinese league season has ended. But by then, will Barcelona still want him?

Because of that, a report in SPORT says Paulinho is pushing for the transfer to go through very soon. However, another report, this one from Mundo Deportivo, says the board is wary of announcing his purchase at the same time as Real Madrid announce the transfer of Dani Ceballos from Real Betis.

They say the board trusts Paulinho but think the fans would not approve of the signing of a soon to be 29 year old from the Chinese league in contrast to Madrid getting one of Spain’s top prospects.