clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

FC Barcelona News: 22 August 2017; Ousmane Dembele Transfer Hits Bump, No Talks Over Jean Michael Seri

New, comments
SSC Napoli v OGC Nice - UEFA Champions League Qualifying Play-Offs Round: First Leg Photo by Francesco Pecoraro/Getty Images

FC Barcelona go nine years straight winning on opening day | FC Barcelona
FC Barcelona made the perfect start to the new La Liga season in dispatching Real Betis 2-0 at the Camp Nou. This maintains their superb nine-year record stretching back to the 2009/10 season of winning their opening La Liga game each season. The last time they failed to do so came all the way back in 2008/9 when they lost 1-0 to Numancia.

No luck for Leo Messi against Betis | FC Barcelona
FC Barcelona began the 2017/18 season with a 2-0 victory over Betis thanks to an own goal from Tosca and another strike from Sergi Roberto. The versatile man from Reus was one of the stand out performers in the game in which he scored his first ever league goal for the Club. However, if there was one player who was a constant threat to the Andalusian defence, it was none other than Leo Messi.

A very special opening day fixture from the inside | FC Barcelona
It was not an easy day at Camp Nou. The terrorist attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils had struck right at the heart of Catalonia, putting into perspective Barça’s league debut against Betis. Therefore, the Club decided to pay tribute to the victims of Thursday’s events in a variety of ways.

Neymar is right about Barcelona's board but don't believe a word he says | Goal
However, Neymar has his own reasons to criticise Barcelona's board. First of all, the Brazilian is unhappy after the Catalan club refused to honour a loyalty bonus of €26 million after he signed a new contract in late October 2016. In the meantime, he may also be trying to clean his image after the controversial manner of his exit.

Barcelona believe Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta will sign new contracts, but they remain a mess institutionally | Independent
It is now just over four months until Lionel Messi and Andrés Iniesta can begin to discuss Bosman transfers for the summer of 2018. That, in one sentence, highlights Barcelona's incompetence in tying down their best players, the two players who could fairly be described as the heart and soul of this team, to new deals.

Messi is unsure about Barcelona future, claims Benedito | Goal
Lionel Messi is showing he is unsure about his future by not signing a new Barcelona contract, according to Agusti Benedito. The Argentina star agreed to a new four-year deal in July but has yet to put pen to paper, despite his current contract having less than a year to run.

Barcelona insist Lionel Messi still committed after Joan Laporta claim | ESPN
Barcelona maintain that Lionel Messi will sign his contract extension despite former club president Joan Laporta's suggestion he could leave if current chief Josep Maria Bartomeu is not removed from his position. Messi's current deal expires next summer but Barca announced in July that an agreement had been reached for a new four-year deal, running until 2021.

Why Barcelona should sign Dembele instead of Coutinho to replace Neymar | Goal
It may not be Barcelona's ideal scenario but only signing Dembele could prove perfect in the long-run for the five-time European Cup champions. The France international is five years younger than the Liverpool attacker and has shown more at 20 than Coutinho did at the same age.

Dortmund chief tells Barcelona that the chances of Ousmane Dembele joining are 'under 50 per cent' | Eurosport
Watzke, speaking on Sky Sport Germany said, "I see the transfer probability of Ousmane Dembele under 50 per cent. You don't believe a 20-year-old will refuse to go to training without his possible new club liking that? "If they match our requirements soon then there will be a transfer. Otherwise, there won't be. Dembele would have to apologise to the team and the club."

Nice general manager denies talks with Barcelona over Jean Michael Seri | ESPN
Nice general manager Julien Fournier says no talks have taken place with Barcelona over the transfer of midfielder Jean Michael Seri. Multiple reports in Spain on Sunday said that Barca expected to finalise a €40 million deal for the Ivory Coast international in the coming days, but Fournier says he expects Seri to stay at the Allianz Riviera.