- Barcelona completed just 620 passes against Real Valladolid, compared to 893 against Deportivo Alavés.
- Their pass success also went down from 90% to 85%, in no small part due to the dire state of the pitch.
- Barcelona have started the last seven league seasons with two wins, in which Real Madrid have only started three seasons with two victories. (@pedritonumeros)
- In four of the last five seasons, Barcelona have started La Liga with two wins and two clean sheets. (@barca19stats)
- Ousmane Dembélé had the most shots of any player, with five, as many as the rest of his teammates combined. Luis Suárez had two, which put him second on the team.
- Sergi Roberto grabbed an assist; he also led the team in tackles and interceptions.
- He was also second on the team in completed passes, with 78. Ivan Rakitić was first, with 80.
- Gerard Piqué played his 300th La Liga game, 278 with Barcelona and 22 with Real Zaragoza.
- Dembélé had the lowest pass accuracy for his team (65.7%). Part of the problem was a lack of accuracy on crosses. He attempted six but none were successful.
- Barcelona led in xG, with results similar but not quite like the final score: 1.20 to 0.51. The match finished 1-0, of course.
- Dembélé vastly outperformed his xG. he had an xG of 0.26 but he scored the only goal in the match.
- Suárez again underperformed his xG. He had a score of 0.52, but he didn’t put the ball in the net. The biggest reason why is he took a shot on 32 minutes from very close range, but Jordi Masip blocked it very well. To be fair, Suárez only barely had contact with the ball as he struggled to chase it down.
- Philippe Coutinho had the most chances created in the match, tied with Real Valladolid’s Javi Moyano. They both had two.
- Coutinho had an xA score of 0.45. Arturo Vidal was rated at 0.3 for xA, because of his header that played on Malcom. The winger’s shot was saved, however.
- Gerard Piqué played the most accurate long balls for Barcelona. Nine of his 12 attempted were accurate. Rakitić was 6/7, Messi was a perfect 6/6, while Marc-André ter Stegen was 6/8.
- Messi led the way in accurate throughballs - 2/3.
- After two matches, Rakitić is second in La Liga in total passes and first in accurate long balls.
- Messi is first in La Liga in throughballs and successful dribbles, tied for second in goals, and tied for seventh in chances created.
The most interesting numbers from the match