- Much has been made about the Anoeta Stadium curse, but has Barcelona actually reversed it? Barcelona had not won at Real Sociedad’s stadium in almost 11 years in the league until last season. But Barcelona has won twice in a row in the league there now.
- In fact, taking account all competitions, La Real have won none of the past four matches against Barcelona at the Anoeta - 1 draw and 3 losses.
- Barcelona is the first team in league history to win two matches in a row at Anoeta despite trailing at half time (@2010MisterChip)
- Ernesto Valverde has won as many matches at the Anoeta as the previous seven Barcelona managers combined (@barca19stats)
- Ousmane Dembélé was back with another goal. He’s now on 3 league goals this season - as many as all of last season.
- Dembélé is on four goals in all competitions this season, as many as Lionel Messi. And Dembélé has provided a winning goal in three of the five matches he has played.
- Dembélé also led the team in chances created with three. Messi was second with two.
- Interestingly, Gerard Piqué led the team in shots (three - tied with Luis Suárez) and on shots on target (two.)
- Piqué led the way in tackles for Barcelona, too, with four, although Dembélé did his part, too. The Frenchman was second with three.
- Jordi Alba had the most interceptions for Barcelona, with four. Samuel Umtiti and Ivan Rakitić had three each.
- Dembélé has had a problem in other matches with completing crosses, but not today. He was three-for-three in successful crosses, the most of anyone for his team.
- Rakitić continues delivering a high amount and a high percentage of accurate long balls. He was 10-for-11 against La Real.
- Marc-André Ter Stegen made four saves. He made two one-on-one saves, and one from point-blank range which was eventually waved off due to offside.
- Barcelona and Real Sociedad were pretty close in terms of xG. Understat reports Real Sociedad at 1.48 and Barcelona at 1.76. Even after Barcelona’s equalizing goal, La Real led in terms of xG. It was only later that Barça went ahead in terms of xG and in the scoresheet. The home team also had a flurry of late chances to equalize. While Barcelona finished ahead in xG, it’s fair to say it was so close that they can count themselves fortunate to have taken all three points.
Reversing the Curse (Real Sociedad-Barcelona Statistics)
The most interesting numbers from matchday 4.