Josep Maria Bartomeu is feeling “strong” and will push aside calls to resign, even as his presidency is in peril after a motion of no confidence against him was confirmed successful by FC Barcelona. That’s the reporting in Catalonia as the motion of no confidence continues to send shockwaves through the club.
The motion was submitted with more than 20,000 signatures, of which the club has already approved over 18,000, much more than the 16,521 required to deem it successful.
Now, a referendum will be called in which two-thirds of the vote is needed to force Bartomeu out.
Some have called for Bartomeu to resign rather than face the indignity of a recall election, but he has so far rebuffed the idea and, it seems, will continue doing so.
Catalan TV reports Bartomeu is more committed to continuing in his post than he was a few days ago, although the same cannot be said for all of his board. At least three executives are said to be considering tending their resignations.
There is expected to be a meeting next week in which resignations will be discussed.
BARTOMEU SE SENT FORT— Onze (@OnzeTv3) October 7, 2020
➡️ Se sent més decidit a seguir que fa uns dies, però hi ha com a mínim 3 directius que pensen en dimitir
➡️ La reunió on es decidirà si dimiteixen o segueixen no està convocada, però es preveu per mitjan setmana que ve#OnzeE3 pic.twitter.com/XRNBQOjPFa