clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

FC Barcelona News: 2 February 2020; Ousmane Dembele Not Yet Ready to Return, Samuel Umtiti Rejected Arsenal Offer

New, comments
Valencia CF v FC Barcelona - La Liga Photo by Quality Sport Images/Getty Images

Setien forced to turn to the kids with only 17 first team players available | Marca
Upon the closing of the winter transfer window, Quique Setien feels as though he has what he needs at Barcelona to see him through until the end of the season. The coach has 18 first team players under his orders and with one of those, Luis Suarez, injured on a long-term basis, he’s having to turn to the academy to pad out his matchday squads.

Ousmane Dembele training again but ruled out of Levante game | Sport
Asked if there was any chance of the Frenchman making the squad for the league game, Setien completely ruled it out: “It would be premature to bring Dembele in. We will see for the coming games, but we’re not going to get ahead of ourselves.”

Barcelona boss Setien wants Champions League on his tombstone | ESPN
Quique Setien may have landed the job of his life when he was appointed Barcelona coach last month — but he is already thinking about how he wants to be remembered in death. ”I want my tombstone to say that I won the Champions League with Barca,” the 61-year-old said in an interview with Catalan newspaper L’Esportiu on Saturday.

Setien: Trincao deal was being worked on when I arrived | Marca
Barcelona’s plans to sign Francisco Trincao were in place long before Quique Setien’s arrival. The new coach only succeeded Ernesto Valverde in January and, although he had no say in the signing, he’s looking forward to working with the player next season.

Trincao’s former coach: He has the personality and talent to succeed at Barcelona | Marca
The signing of young Portuguese forward Francisco Trincao from Braga by Barcelona was one of the most notable pieces of business done by a LaLiga Santander side during January’s transfer window. The player - who’ll arrive in the summer - set the Blaugrana back 31 million euros and he is certainly seen as a hot prospect in the game.

SPORT meet Barcelona’s 30 million euros man Trincao in Portugal | Sport
Antonio Salvador put his hand on the player’s shoulder and told him: ‘One day we will sell you for 30 million euros.’ It was 2016 and Francisco Trincao was 16 when the Braga president said that to him. He thought it was just a way of congratulating him for the progress he’d made through the club’s youth academy.

Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti rejected deadline day move to Arsenal | Football Espana
Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti reportedly rejected a deadline day move to Arsenal. The French international has struggled to hold on to a regular starting place at the Camp Nou this year, and according to reports in French newspaper La Parisen, Mikel Arteta wanted to bring him to the Emirates Stadium.

Barcelona players restrict access for documentary - sources | ESPN
The first series, which aired last November, was not well received by the squad. In addition to not being paid what they had been promised, some of the players were not happy with certain elements of the documentary, including the scenes inside the dressing room following their Champions League elimination to Liverpool at Anfield.