This week, club president Joan Laporta will affirm that Ronald Koeman will remain in charge as FC Barcelona’s manager, according to a new report.
Laporta had refused to publicly commit to Koeman, who was hired by Josep Maria Bartomeu, the previous president. Koeman still has a contract with a significant buy-out clause.
There is talk of a meeting between the president and manager in which Laporta insisted Koeman should play a more attractive and more attacking style of play. Laporta reportedly brought up Barcelona’s women’s section, which recently won the treble while playing a very stylish brand of football.
Això és el que hem explicat al @QueThiJugues sobre el futur de Ronald Koeman.— Sique RodríguezGairí (@SiqueRodriguez) June 2, 2021
I aquí us deixo les dues hores de programa per si us ve de gust escoltar-lo.
Koeman was said to explain that he played the way he did due to the players at his disposal. The pair spoke about which players could come that would lead to Barcelona playing a different style of football, particularly, using the 4-3-3 formation. Laporta
Another topic of discussion was the manager’s contract. Laporta hopes to reduce the base salary, while heightening performance-based bonuses.
No agreement has been reached so far but it’s understood that one is likely to be agreed upon.
Laporta’s previous refusal to commit to Koeman long-term had annoyed the manager’s agent, who compared the situation to telling someone they’d get married only after looking for someone else first.
The president was said to have targeted Hansi Flick, who had left Bayern Munich to coach the German national team. A last-minute approach from the Catalans was said to be rejected.