Barcelona playing Girona in the United States has moved a significant step closer after La Liga confirmed they have sent a letter to the RFEF asking for authorisation to play the match at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium.
Girona have previously admitted they have been working on a proposal to play the game, scheduled for January 26 in the US, and it now looks like it really might happen.
“FC Barcelona, Girona FC and LaLiga have requested permission from the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) to stage the matchday 21 fixture between Girona and Barcelona, scheduled to be played on 26 January, at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium in a 20:45 CET kick-off.
“The request, signed by FC Barcelona President Josep Maria Bartomeu, Girona FC President Delfí Geli and LaLiga President Javier Tebas, was submitted to the RFEF late Monday. The submission has been made after successfully completing the first key steps with several stakeholders.”
The full statement is available here. Barcelona, Girona and La Liga will now await a response from the RFEF.
The statement also says they have included details of a compensation package for Girona season-ticket holders which the Aficiones Unidas (AFEPE) (an association of fans clubs) are happy with.
The players had previously been said to be “outraged” at the idea to play La Liga matches in the US.
Sergio Busquets spoke about it in yesterday’s press conference ahead of Spain vs Croatia and said: “We can’t deny it or say yes, we’re look for solutions that will be best for the football players, we want things to be done well.”
The Spanish Players Union (AFE) met with La Liga on Monday and said players would make the “final decision,” according to BBC Sport.