clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Jordi Mestre resigns as Barcelona vice-president

New, comments

There are changes afoot at the Camp Nou

FBL-ESP-LIGA-BARCELONA-INTERVIEW Photo credit should read PAU BARRENA/AFP/Getty Images

Jordi Mestre has resigned as Barcelona vice-president, the club confirmed on Wednesday.

The 56-year-old has been in the position since 2014 but has now left his role due to “strong discrepancies” with the sporting direction of the club, so say Sport.

ESPN’s Samuel Marsden shared what the official line from the club was....

Mestre is, of course, the man who famously said Neymar was “200 per cent” staying at Barcelona just weeks before the Brazilian signed for Paris Saint-Germain.

He also spoke about Neymar again earlier this season and said he thought it “highly unlikely that he will play for the club again.”

His resignation seems to have come as a bit of a surprise given Barcelona had previously announced that Mestre would appear alongside Frenkie de Jong and Eric Abidal on Friday at the midfielder’s official presentation as a Barcelona player.