clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Catalan health council says Barcelona vs Napoli can be played at Camp Nou

New, comments

Despite Napoli’s protests, the game will happen at the Greatest Stadium on Earth

Barcelona’s Argentinian forward Lionel Messi (R) fights for... Photo by Salvatore Laporta/KONTROLAB/LightRocket via Getty Images

Despite some vehement protests by Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis, it looks as though the Greatest Stadium on Earth will indeed be the venue for the Champions League Round of 16 second leg between Barcelona and the Italian club this Saturday.

Catalonia’s Health Secretary José María Argimón spoke to Catalan radio on Wednesday and said that the game can go on as planned despite the recent spike in coronavirus cases in the region over the last few weeks. According to Argimón, the situation is better this week and there will be no threat to safety of anyone involved in the match.

“It can be played as normal. The situation this week is better than last week. The match can go ahead as it’s behind closed doors and we’re following UEFA’s protocols, which are very strict. There will be a maximum of 350 people in the stadium.”

Source: RAC1 via Diario Sport

UEFA assured there is an emergency plan B for the game to be played in another venue, but it looks as though things will carry on as normal with an empty Camp Nou. Thanks to the 1-1 result from the first leg Barça have the away goals advantage and can qualify with a goalless draw at home.