clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Less than 50% chance of Dembele moving to Barcelona, says Watzke

New, comments

Pay up or he stays, remains the message from Germany

Borussia Dortmund  v Bayern Muenchen - DFL Supercup 2017 Photo by Martin Rose/Bongarts/Getty Images

Barcelona’s pursuit of Ousmane Dembele has taken another twist with Borussia Dortmund chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke saying the chances of him leaving are “less than 50%”.

Just yesterday Watze gave Barcelona huge hope by claiming the club would let the Frenchman leave, if they met Dortmund’s valuation.

However, today Watzke seems in spikier mood, and downplayed the chances of a deal, although he admitted again he will be sold, if Barca meet their demands.

“I see the transfer probability of Ousmane Dembélé under 50 per cent,” he said.

"There are only two options. Either Barcelona pays the sum we imagine.

“We are not negotiable. If they meet our demands in a timely fashion, the transfer will happen. If they don't, it won't.

"Ousmane went on strike and then he got suspended [by the club]

“So far, he has not asked us to end the suspension, so you'd need to discuss our friends from Catalonia's role [in that].

"We met with Barcelona officials on the Wednesday and our ideas were poles apart. By coincidence, [Dembele] then doesn't show up for training on the Thursday. The timing is striking.

“Do you believe that a 20-year-old does not attend training without the goodwill of the club trying to sign the player?”

Source | Bild

The message to Barca is clear, pay up or move on, and the sooner the better for all concerned.