Lionel Messi is reportedly a top target for David Beckham’s Inter Miami team, and the Englishman wants to bring in the Barcelona star for their debut season in 2020.
According to the Sunday Times, Miami want to make a signature signing and reckon they may just have a chance of luring Messi to Major League Soccer.
The Argentine will be 34 and into the last year of his current Barcelona contract which he signed last year by then. His buyout clause is set at €700 million.
Trying to land Messi is an incredibly ambitious (and expensive) plan, for Beckham and Miami who are due to enter MLS in 2020, although the club are still lacking a stadium to play in.
Messi may have given the club hope with a congratulatory message he sent to Beckham in January after the franchise was confirmed: “Hi David, first of all congratulations, I hope all goes well with the new project, in this new step you are taking and who knows, in a few years maybe you will give me a call.”
Was he joking? Probably, and it remains to be seen if Miami have any chance at all of signing Messi. He’s said on numerous occasions he wants to finish his career at Barcelona.
He’s also spoken of a desire to play back in Argentina for Newell’s Old Boys but has also admitted he doesn’t know if it will happen.
Beckham’s team are still a long way off playing their first official game but have already been linked with some of football’s biggest stars. A move for Cristiano Ronaldo has been rumoured previously, while Antoine Griezmann has said he’d be happy to play for Beckham in the US.