Xavi has confirmed he did turn down an approach from Barcelona to manage the club, saying it is “too soon” to return to the Camp Nou.
Speculation was rife last week that Xavi would replace Ernesto Valverde in the dugout, but the club were forced to look elsewhere after the former midfielder said no.
Quique Setien has now been installed as the club’s new boss, and Xavi says he’s a big fan of the 61-year-old.
“Yes, I received an offer from Barcelona in the presence of Eric Abidal and Òscar Grau here in Doha. I did not accept it because it is too early to train Barcelona, but it will remain my favourite dream in the future.
“I love the new boss Quique Setien. I love how he works and expect him to succeed with the team.”
Source | Al Sadd
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu has also said this week that Xavi will manage the club “one day” in the future.
For now Xavi remains in charge of Al Sadd and is busy preparing for Friday’s Qatar Cup final against Al-Duhail in Doha.