clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Luis Suarez wanted four-year contract extension at Barcelona - report

New, comments

The idea didn’t go down too well

Atletico de Madrid v Granada CF - La Liga Santander Photo by Angel Martinez/Getty Images

Luis Suarez reportedly asked Barcelona for a four-year contract extension over the summer before he sealed a move to Atletico Madrid.

The Uruguay international spoke to the club about a renewal before being told by new boss Ronald Koeman that he wasn’t in his future plans, according to Catalunya Radio.

Suarez was hopeful of landing a long contract that would have kept him at the club until he was 37, but Barca weren’t interested given his age and level of performance last season.

The striker ended up moving to Atletico on a two-year deal after agreeing to terminate his contract at Barca that still had a year left to run.

Suarez left after an emotional farewell ceremony and spoke again about how upset he was to leave in an interview with Marca over the weekend.

“I was sad and hurt by the way I left, which I have already said. I feel proud. When I wasn’t wanted, I found somewhere I was. I’ve found happiness and I’m enjoying this period.”

The forward had been expecting to play against his former employers on Saturday in La Liga but has since tested positive for Covid-19 and looks certain to miss the game.