clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Inter ‘very optimistic’ Lautaro Martinez will stay despite Barcelona interest

New, comments

The striker has not asked to leave

FC Internazionale Training Session Photo by Marco Luzzani - Inter/Inter via Getty Images

Inter CEO Beppe Marotta says he’s “very optimistic” Lautaro Martinez will be playing for the club next season despite intense speculation regarding a move to Barcelona.

Reports have suggested Martinez is keen to move to Barca to link up with Lionel Messi, but Marotta says the 22-year-old has not asked to leave the San Siro.

The Inter chief also sounded very confident the Nerazzurri will be able to hang on to their striker this summer and reiterated how they are not really interested in selling.

“Lautaro Martinez is the focus of other clubs’ attention on the transfer market, everyone knows this,” he said.

“He has immense quality and many teams who would love to negotiate with us for him. Inter have no intention of selling our best players, so if a player does not express the desire to leave, then we’ll hold on tight.

“Lautaro is flattered by the attention of big clubs, but he has never expressed the desire to leave. Never. I am very optimistic that we’ll see him playing for us again next season.”

Source | Football Italia

Speculation regarding a move has gone a little quiet since the football returned, although there have also been rumors Barca are waiting for his €111m release clause to expire. Marotta said earlier this month the clause runs out on July 7.