The saga surrounding Lionel Messi and Barcelona has taken a new twist in the shape of Jorge Messi issuing a statement addressed to La Liga president Javier Tebas.
The statement reiterates his camp’s belief that Messi’s €700 million buyout clause is no longer valid if the player decided to leave after the 2019-20 season.
La Liga said Messi must leave via a 700m release clause. In a statement, Messi's family says they don't know what contract La Liga looked like or how they made such an error because the contract says the clause no longer applies after the 19-20 season. pic.twitter.com/izWDk1njLp— Luis Mazariegos (@luism8989) September 4, 2020
Jorge Messi make his feelings pretty clear. He says La Liga made a “clear error” and adds that he’s not exactly sure what contract they were looking at previously.
If you remember La Liga announced five days ago that they believe Messi is still under contract and the clause is still valid.
The statement comes after huge speculation that Messi was thinking about staying at Barcelona, but Jorge Messi’s latest suggests that’s not the case.