clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Koeman says he’s ‘relieved’ after Laporta confirms his Barcelona future

New, comments

The Dutchman will stay for a second season

Levante UD v FC Barcelona - La Liga Santander Photo by Jose Breton/Pics Action/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman has sent out a message after his future at the club was finally confirmed this week.

There had been intense speculation the Dutchman could be axed after just one season in charge after a disappointing end to the 2020-21 campaign.

Barca lifted the Copa del Rey under Koeman but missed out on doing the double after some poor results against Granada and Levante in particular.

President Joan Laporta put the speculation about Koeman’s future to bed on Thursday when he confirmed the Dutchman will stay on.

Koeman says he’s relieved after an “intense” few weeks following the end of the season.

There will still be plenty of expectation on Koeman next season with Laporta making changes on and off the field this summer. The Dutchman will be expected to produce results and performances and will no doubt come under more pressure if he fails on either front.