Ever since Victor Valdés announced that his future lies away from the Camp Nou, the media have been speculating about the identity of FC Barcelona’s next goalkeeper – and if reports from Catalan newspaper, Diario Sport are to be believed, Barcelona may have struck a deal to bring in a successor for the departing Victor Valdés.
Over the past few months, a whole host of goalkeepers have been linked with a move to the Catalan capital – from reigning Zamora winner, Thibaut Courtois to Real Madrid captain, Iker Casillas via a former La Masia graduate in Pepe Reina, the Blaugrana have been linked with virtually every keeper under the sun – but one name stands out above the rest and it is rumoured that Barça’s Director of Football, Andoni Zubizarreta is poised to announce that Barcelona have reached an agreement with Borussia Monchengladbach to bring Marc-André ter Stegen to the Camp Nou.
The transfer fee is reported to be in the region of just €10 million; that’s €10 million for one of the world’s most talented shot-stoppers, and just €10 million for a goalkeeper who should start between the sticks for the Catalans for at least the next decade.
At 21 years of age, it is clear that Ter Stegen is far from being a "finished product", but if his displays in goal at Monchengladbach are anything to go by, Barcelona have got themselves a sensational shot-stopper who is not only adept with the ball at his feet, but also provides a presence between the posts.
Culés will undoubtedly be displeased to see Victor Valdés depart in the summer after a string of impressive performances this season, but the signing of Marc-André ter Stegen will go some way to easing that pain.
- FC Barcelona News: 30 December 2013; Catalan National Team in Action Today, Spain Based Players Return to Barcelona
- FC Barcelona News: 29 December 2013; Study Shows Barça the Most Liked Foreign Team in Brazil
- FC Barcelona News: 28 December 2013: PSG Reportedly Prepare Audacious Bid For Lionel Messi
- Pedro Rodriguez or Alexis Sanchez - Who is Barcelona's Starter?
- FC Barcelona News: 27 December 2013; Gabriel Milito Retires, A Look Back at the Year 2013