Reports from Italy today link FC Barcelona with a summer swoop for 20 year old River Plate centre-half, Eder Alvarez Balanta. The Colombian defender burst onto the scene at Los Millonarios in 2012, when he secured a regular position in Matias Almeyda's starting line-up; a position that he has retained even after the arrival of new head coach, Ramon Diaz.
Tipped to play a starring role for Colombia in the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup, Balanta is equally capable of operating on the left hand side of defense and it's this versatility that has earned Balanta plaudits from fans and rivals alike.
This is not the first, nor will it likely be the last time that Barcelona are linked with Eder Alvarez Balanta, although as the old saying goes, there is no smoke without fire.
Speaking in Tuttomercato, South American football expert Barend Krausz, was confident that Balanta would sign for the Blaugrana after the summer's World Cup -- and that the Colombian would be available for €20 million.
With a release clause of $30 million in his latest contract, the reality is that Barcelona may have to stump up a couple of million extra, but in the process, they could find a solution for their defensive frailties.
- 2014 January Transfer Window: FC Barcelona Rumours and News
- FC Barcelona News: 2 January 2013; Lionel Messi To Return To Barcelona Today, Barça Legend Josep Seguer Dies
- FC Barcelona: Five of the Best Individual Performances of 2013
- Barcelona Players' New Year's Resolutions
- FC Barcelona News: 1 January 2014; Happy New Year