It was a deal that once seemed impossible: Ivan Rakitic to FC Barcelona. Yet as time advanced, despite the initial interest from Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, it seemed as though there was only ever one team in the race to prise the Croatian midfielder away from Sevilla. Just this morning, we reported that Rakitic was closing in on his dream move to the Camp Nou, and now, some 12 hours later we are simply awaiting official confirmation as the rumours surrounding Rakitic's future intensify.
Now we have a German newspaper, Bild, reporting that deal is done. Renowned Italian journalist Gianluca di Marzio has "confirmed" a deal via his Twitter account. The only quarrel is the price -- Bild are reporting a higher figure, €20 million, Di Marzio on the other hand is relaying a lower figure -- €15 million plus incentives, possibly bringing the total to €20 million anyway. The details are all but confirmed too -- a five year deal, although again, wages differ depending on the reporter.
Of course, with the World Cup set to kick-off in just under a week, this move may not be confirmed for some time. Rakitic is focused on helping Croatia progress out of the group stage and therefore may wish to delay any announcement on his future until after the tournament. Certainly, quotes from his father suggest as much. But with such a common consensus being reached by the media, is it time to get excited about this deal?
What do you think Cules? How do you feel about the prospect of Ivan Rakitic in a Barcelona jersey?
- FC Barcelona News: 5 June 2014; Alexis Sanchez Leads Chile to Victory, Javier Mascherano Scores in Argentina Win
- Report: Ivan Rakitic and FC Barcelona Get Closer to Deal
- F.C. Barcelona: Analyzing Potential Midfield Additions
- FC Barcelona News: 4 June 2014; Neymar and Dani Alves Score in Brazil Friendly, Lionel Messi on Sports Illustrated Cover
- On Cesc Fabregas, Exit Rumours and Mediocrity